Pennsylvania School Law requires that all applicants for employment in public and private schools, employees of independent contractors seeking business with public and private schools, and student teacher candidates undergo background checks if they have direct contact with students. In addition, employment history reviews must be completed for all applicants seeking employment.
The following three background checks are required:
- Child Abuse History Clearance
- Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Records Check
- Federal Criminal History Record Information (CHRI)
Find information about obtaining clearances, associated laws and regulations, answers to frequently asked questions, and additional resources below. In addition, consider reviewing 24 P.S. §1-111, as amended, and the Child Protective Services Law concerning background checks, for more information.
In addition, individuals need to complete the following:
- Act 168-Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Sexual Misconduct/Abuse Disclosure Release
- Act 126 Training - All PA public school employees are required to complete the 3 hour Act 126 Mandated Reporter Video Training every (5) FIVE YEARS. Click the link below for the preferred training.
- Act 24- Arrest and Conviction Report- Must be completed prior to the start of work
- Physical which includes a TB test- Must be completed prior to the start of work
All current and prospective employees, volunteers, interns and volunteers of The Mountain View School District are required to have all of the clearances listed above as well (Board Policies: #907, #916, #304, #305, and #307).
Parent volunteers and field trip chaperones for some field trips must have all three clearances listed (FBI (please note the process for this clearance is different for a volunteer from an employee; please contact your childs school main office for more information, Child Abuse Clearance and State Police Clearance).
Please visit PDE's Website for more information at: https://www.education.pa.gov/Educators/Clearances/Pages/default.aspx
Below are the links to obtain your clearances.
- Child Abuse Clearance - Must create a Keystone ID Account https://www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/home
- State Police Clearance https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp
- FBI Fingerprinting https://uenroll.identogo.com (Service Code for Employee 1KG6XN Code for Volunteer 1KG6ZJ)
- Act 168 https://www.education.pa.gov/Documents/Codes and Regulations/Basic Education Circulars/Purdons Statutes/Act 168 - Attachment - Commonwealth of Pennsylvania's Sexual Misconduct-Abuse Disclosure Release.pdf
- Act 126 https://www.education.pa.gov/Documents/K-12/Safe%20Schools/Act%20126%20-%20Child%20Abuse%20Reporting/Act%20126%20FAQ.pdf
- Act 24 https://www.education.pa.gov/Documents/Teachers-Administrators/Background%20Checks/Arrest%20or%20Conviction%20form.pdf